Saturday, September 19, 2009

Homecoming

Friday night was Homecoming night at Hunter High School's football game vs the Cyprus Pirates. This was an important game for both schools and many people turned out to support both area high schools. The stands were packed shoulder to shoulder with people as the game began and I was surrounded by family from various generations of high school past. I represent the family cut off point, as I had grandparents, parents, and numerous cousins that are all proud Cyprus graduates, yet I was the first one to break that tradition, being that I was in the first full graduating class of Hunter High. Since then I have family excel in Hunter athletics, academics, and student government and thus have started many new traditions. Ultimately in this game the Wolverines proved to be too much for the Pirates to handle, and the younger generation was able to console the older. I make mention of all this today, because it was an enjoyable time for everyone and a good example of the community coming together to exhibit some civic pride. Next week is a sequel of sorts as Hunter will travel to Granger in another West Valley City area homecoming bowl game. I am sure that this game will also be accompanied by a similar feel of friendly community rivalry, unity, and pride.

No comments:

Post a Comment