Thursday, June 17, 2010

Rainwater Harvesting

My agrarian ancestry and experiences with our dry climate has always made water conservation a concept and practice that has long interested me. I have mentioned in earlier posts some practices and water wise vegetation that helps to conserve this precious resource. I wanted to further point a development that I have been following that I know will be of some interest to many of our community's businesses and residents. This year, the Utah Legislature passed Senate Bill 32, which permits the capture and storage of precipitation (i.e., rainwater harvesting). The bill has now been listed in the Utah Code under section 73-3-1.5. Their are limits to the amount you can harvest and another requirement of the new law that just took effect is that a person who wants to harvest rainwater must first register with the Utah Division of Water Rights. The Division now has an online registration form that can be found here:


http://waterrights.utah.gov/forms/rainwater.asp



I took a few minutes and registered and feel good that my small backyard sistern is now legal in the eyes of the State.

No comments:

Post a Comment