Friday, January 22, 2010

New Years Statement

The following is my open letter to the residents of West Valley City as published in ths January edition of The West Valley Journal:
Resolution Concentration

A message from Councilmember Corey Rushton

When the calendar is turned to a new year we inevitably associate this time with a clean slate and an opportunity to make some positive changes in our lives. Similarly, this is also true of your City government. We recently welcomed some changes and new members to our City Council. We have a remarkable blend of backgrounds and talents that will serve the City well. Later this month we will lock ourselves in a room at the Cultural Center (public and press welcome) to establish the yearly goals and priorities of West Valley City. In broadest terms, my New Year’s resolution is to concentrate on those things that are of the most importance, both in my personal life and as a representative of City residents. Now, what I know about concentration can best be summed up by something that my Grandpa Rushton taught me years ago while I was battling through a horrible Little League Baseball slump. He told me that, “Concentration was half confidence and half hunger.”

I often speak about the many good confidence indicators throughout West Valley City. Improved transportation options include refurbished roads, rapid transit bus, and the continued construction on the West Valley City TRAX line. The Valley Fair Mall continues to add dining and shopping options as more and more patronize the area. As the local economy improves, the Chamber of Commerce reported a record month for memberships. Our Police department continues to proactively investigate and prosecute crime.

As good as these things are, let me also assure you that I am equally hungry for positive improvements and progress. We need to witness further reductions in crime. We need to reinvest in our homes, businesses, and community. We need to conserve our natural environment and add quality parks and open space. We must also demand innovation and cost cutting strategies from our governments.

May we all individually and as a West Valley community be like Michelangelo, the great renaissance painter, sculptor, engineer, architect, and poet who said, “I hope that I may desire more than I can accomplish.” I challenge everyone to aim high with their goals this year and strive to achieve great things. Here’s to a healthy, happy, and prosperous 2010 permeating within West Valley City households and neighborhoods.

No comments:

Post a Comment