Friday, June 5, 2009

Anniversary


This past week Emily and I celebrated the anniversary of our wedding. For the Opening Ceremony of our City Council Meeting I made the following remarks about achieving marital bliss:

Because this is wedding anniversary I have reflected on the importance of having a good marriage and since the Mayor has been such a good example in being in a successful marriage I asked his wife about their secret to having a long and happy marriage.

She told me that, “It all dates back to an experience on our honeymoon”, explained Mrs. Nordfelt. “We visited the Grand Canyon and took a trip down to the bottom of the canyon by pack mule. We hadn't gone too far when my husband's mule stumbled. I heard my husband quietly say 'That's once.'

We proceeded a little farther when the mule stumbled again. This time my husband the Mayor quietly said, 'That's twice.'

We made it to the bottom of the canyon when the mule stumbled and they fell to the ground. My husband promptly removed a revolver from his pocket and shot the mule.

I stood there shocked at what my husband had done and then started to protest over his treatment of the mule when he looked at me and quietly said 'That's once.'"


This little story garnished a few bits of laughter and was of course a joke, but it is very true that Mayor Nordfelt is a great example of how to be an effective elected official as well as beloved family man.

No comments:

Post a Comment